Earlier this year Breakfast at Tiffany’s was being shown at an outside cinema at a bar in London, I could only locate one ticket, so I decided to go solo.
It was the most wonderful experience because…
1. It was still cold and still felt like Christmas (I Loveee Christmas, don’t we all??)
2. Seeing Audrey Hepburn on a big screen was an absolute delight, what a beautiful actress she was, god bless her soul always.
3. This was my first time going somewhere public, alone and I smiled the whole way through
I heart the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It’s romantic and meaningful, funny and fulfilling. I have a few favourite quotes from the movie but my most favourite is the way Holly Golightly (Audrey’s character) describes the feeling of sadness as “The Mean Red’s”.
When I have the mean red’s, I do the following…
1. Watch a movie that makes me smile, feel warm and happy i.e. About a Boy, Finding Nemo or The Holiday
2. Meet a friend who is positive, optimistic, funny, understanding and always brightens up my day
3. Spend a day with myself doing things I love the most and will make me feel better about me. like: Go to a park, museum, gallery or the gym.
I think Holly Golightly definitely had the right attitude about things!
Here is the quote and the snippet from the film.
The Mean Red’s – Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you’re getting fat and maybe it’s been raining too long, you’re just sad that’s all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you’re afraid and you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Paul Varjak: Sure.
Holly Golightly: Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany’s. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that’d make me feel like Tiffany’s, then – then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name!